What a year…again! It was brilliant to be back on the park following a disrupted 2020, only for the season to be cruelly closed down at Round 11 due to the resurgence of COVID followed by 100+ days of lockdown for everyone. Nonetheless, I am extremely proud of the clubs work and achievements for the community over the year, that set us up very well for the future.
Membership and financials: With 1031 players, 82 teams, 180+ coaches and managers, and their families, we are a growing community club. We had a 13% increase in player registrations again this year, up from 913 last year. Most pleasingly, we had a 77% player retention rate and 31% female participation rate, leading the Association and aligned with the Associations strategic plan vision. We are in a strong position financially, following strong results for the canteen, and limited uptake of refunds offered for the shortened season. We are very thankful for those members able to donate their refund to the club. We continue to invest any surplus funds back into the club. See Treasurer’s Report.
Highlights: Given the shortened season, no premierships were awarded. However, there were several highlights:
- The Clubhouse was back in action after not being possible for 2020. Friday nights at the clubhouse were a roaring success thanks to our canteen manager Tineke Millard and our wonderful volunteers. The sense of community is a huge win there.
- We have fantastic volunteers across the board. As a growing club we are growing our volunteer base, with many new roles created and filled thanks to the good culture we have as a club.
- We were chosen to host Football Federation Australia for National volunteers week and in the process tried walking football for the first time; something we will build on next year.
- We have put into place improved processes for Issue Resolution.
- We launched a new online shop allowing members to purchase merchandise more easily.
- Female football continued to grow, with strongest growth for G6s-G18s. The G6-G7 Sundays Program flourished with girls-only games alternately at Auluba and Montview, and fun group training run by NSFA. There is increased uptake and retention across junior girls due to more pathway options and numbers of teams coming through.
- Individual Awards: Rochelle Chiu was awarded Friend of the Club for her work over many years as merchandise manager and Peter Brack is our Coach of the Year for his service with G12 Dev.
Competition highlights: MAA Div 1 had a building year following their promotion back to premier league, with the addition of several quality players, intense preseason training and a great FFA Cup run being the highlights (keep an eye out for a doco we were lucky to take part in). W35/1 had another good season, sitting second to the high-quality Northern Galaxy team. M35A/2 and U11 SAP had excellent seasons; and were joint winners of our Club Spirit award. M35/2 is on the verge of returning to Div 1, the culmination of several years of hard work by many people. U11 SAP showed sportsmanship and determination and fought hard, developing as a team over the year.
Development opportunities: We are committed to growing development pathways for our players. The U8-U11 Miniroos Skills Acquisition Phase (SAP) & development teams had a successful year, with our teams competing well at that level. While our joint Diamond League venture with Turramurra United had challenging seasons for the older age groups, strong depth has started to flow through at the G12 level with 3 teams entered with strong results across each division. U12 and U13 Super League teams both challenged in their leagues well, along with the U13s producing a good run in the State Cup.
Thank-you: our wonderful volunteers are our biggest asset. Very few people know how much work is involved in running a club like ours between family, work and other demands. I can’t thank our volunteers enough and am gratified to be part of such a wonderful community group. Thankyou very much to our fantastic committee, coordinators, managers, coaches and everyone.
Thank you all for the season. Here is to a normal season next year!
on behalf of the committee